|Description: A black cape made from machine stitched lace. Stand up collar with frill. Hook and eye closure at neck. Small label with number '36' sewn at neck.|
This item belonged to the donor's aunt.
Phyllis Marion Maybee, née Fryer, was born June 11, 1905 in West Toronto, but lived most of her life in Port Credit. Her father, John Harry Fryer, built a house at 1235 Minaki Drive (off Mineola Road) in Port Credit ca. 1922. Phyllis lived there during her childhood and even rented this home for a few years once she was married. The house was built in a Dutch Colonial style and the ownership was transferred to Marguerite Patricia Fryer in 1967. The land was subdivided in 1988 with the intent to demolish the house. Legend Homes has owned the house since 2005 and recently, it was illegally torn down. Mr. Fryer apparently named the street Minaki after a northern Ontario lodge. It is an aboriginal word meaning "all good land" or "beautiful country" according to the Heritage Impact Statement created by LACAC.
Phyllis married Gareth Edward (Garry) Maybee on August 27, 1927 at Trinity Anglican Church and they had 68 years together. G. Maybee was born on June 9, 1902 in Toronto but his family moved to Port Credit and they lived on Stavebank Road. He graduated from the University of Toronto in 1924 and Osgoode Law School in 1927. Upon graduation he entered his father's patent practice, Ridout and Maybee. The Maybees had three daughters: Jane Stock, Nancy Archer and Lynn Watson. Phyllis and her husband lived at 88 Cumberland Drive in Port Credit since June 1944. She passed away in April 2007.