Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 455 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Gloves, Cricket
  View Full size image
Title: Gloves, Cricket
Identifier: 993.1.4 b,c
Donor: Thompson Adamson
Item Date: 1920 1940
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: (b, c) leather cricket gloves probably for batting. (b) 13.0 x 12.0 x 2.5 cm, has padded fingers and an elasticised wristband. (c) Slightly larger glove. There are four padded fingers of tan leather with a fabric ribbon wristband. The fingers have white leather inserts at the finger joints. The letters "S.P.C.L." are printed in ink on one finger joint and may have been abraded off of the other finger joints as remnants of ink remain. The leather is drying out on the back. The accession number is written on white leather trim inside.

Cricket is a ball and bat sport played by two opposing teams of eleven players and played on a grass field. Cricket traditionally dates back to the sixteenth century in England, but may have earlier and differing origins. The game gained much popularity during the seventeenth century, when it became an organized activity and the first professional players appeared. By the mid to late eighteenth century, Cricket was a national sport in England and even held international games: the first in 1844 between Canada and the United States. The two decades before the First World War were known as the "Golden Age" of the game. Today, over 120 nations enjoy the sport. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

Arthur Shrewsbury and Alfred Shaw were English cricketers and cricket tour promoters. During an 1879 tour of North America they made plans to create the "The Midland Cricket, Lawn Tennis, Football and General Athletic Sports Depot" in Nottingham. After a well received and financially successful tour of Australia in 1881/82 they opened a factory called the "Gresham Works". In 1884 the name of the company was changed to "Shaw and Shrewsbury". In 1886 they introduced their trademark image of a cricket bat between and kangaroo and emu. After the financial fail of an 1887/8 tour of Australia the company moved from two buildings to a single building. After Shrewsbury died the firm was split between his brother and four nephews. It was closed in 1939 when its assets were purchased by Grays of Cambridge. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Shrewsbury

These cricket gloves were donated by Thompson Adamson (1912-2001) and they belonged to his father. Adamson was a descendant of Dr Joseph Adamson, a founder of St Peter's Church. Thompson's family farm was situated where the Erindale High School and the Police Station are today. He wrote several historical pieces such as "175 Years of History 1825-2000 St Peter's Anglican Church, Erindale" (Erindale: St Peter's Anglican Church, 2000). Adamson was also Past President of the Mississauga South Historical Society and a member of the Streetsville Historical Society. He received several awards including the Provincial Award from the Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850