Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1154 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Reticule
  View Full size image
Title: Reticule
Identifier: 2006.10.18
Donor: Sandra Lindsay
Item Date: 1905 1915
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A pocket-shaped lady's purse (reticule style) made of black silk, lined with brownish cotton muslin, interlined with coarsely woven black cotton. The outer edge is trimmed with circlets of beads (approximately 6 cm.). The pocket is trimmed with beading in a floral motif with a filigree border. The closure is a length of black grosgrain ribbon threaded through a series of 1 cm diameter metal loops (painted black) and stitched into a square bow. A band of black rayon satin fabric has been added at the top (roughly hand stitched in place).

Donated by Sandra Lindsay from her mother Jean Lindsay. It may have originally belonged to Jean's mother, Emily Mae Hodgetts (1879-1944) and/or her grandmother, Jessie Harriet Clark (1852-1935).

Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harrises of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts' Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy received a Bachelor of Science and Agriculture degree in 1897 from the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph. He was appointed to the Provincial Department of Agriculture in 1902 and acted as the secretary for the Ontario Fruit Growers Association (1904). Later, he was appointed to Head Director (1908). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily Mae Hendison (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean. Jean Hodgetts married William Lindsay; they are the parents of Sandra Lindsay. Jean Lindsay was a long-time volunteer at Benares Historic House and was a friend of Barbara Sayers Larson since childhood.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850