Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 6 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Apple Crate
  View Full size image
Title: Apple Crate
Identifier: 2008.12.50
Donor: Mario Druso
Item Date: 1920 -1940
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A pine wood apple crate nailed together. The sides have a long piece of wood, acting as handles. The narrow ends of the crate have 4.5 cm diameter holes, which act as air vents. On each side of the long ends is printed in black letters: "J.H. Pinchin & Sons Riviere Farm Streetsville, RR1".

History:
This artifact was salvaged from the O'Neil farm located on 3361 Mississauga Road in Erindale. Hugh was one of the last apple growers in Mississauga and also operated a fruit farm on his property. Hugh kept a number of crates marked with the names of different family farms from all over Mississauga.

The Riviere Farm was operated by the Pinchin family and was located on the east side of Mississauga Road (4415 Mississauga Road). The farm operated as a commercial orchard from the 1930s until 2005 selling various kinds of apples and pears. James Herbert Pinchin also served as deputy reeve and reeve for Toronto Township.

Today the Leslie Log House sits on the original Pinchin property on Mississauga Road.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850