|Description: A tin can with snap in lid. The body is made of three pieces of tin, all edges rolled, while the lid is made of one piece of tin with a rolled edge. The tin is decorated with a medium green background, black printing, white printing, reverse printing and gold printing. The main panel has the product name "Lyles Golden Syrup" in large white letters, outlined in black on a gold arch. The logo is bordered in black, oval shaped with the reverse printed: "Abram Lyle & Sons, Sugar Refiners". The centre of the oval has a white background with a golden lion carcass surrounded with bees and the words "out of the strong came forth sweetness". A golden rectangle with black print "1 Lb. net, partially inverted refiners syrup". At the very bottom in small black print is "this can must not be refilled for re-sale". The proper right back panel has a recipe for "Australian biscuits" in small black print, plus a sugar cube T & L soldier motif. The proper left back panel has a coat of arms in gold print, the royal appointment, and manufacture's address in black print. The outside bottom is impressed with "2 0". Stamped in purple-blue ink on top of the lid is "X 21".|
This artifact was salvaged from the O'Neil farm located on 3361 Mississauga Road in Erindale.
James and Ann O’Neil of County Wicklow in Ireland immigrated (after the potato famine) to Quebec, where James found work on the railway. Around 1867 they moved to Streetsville, purchasing two properties equalling 80 acres of land. In the 1877 Ontario Census James (77) was listed as a farmer and a Catholic. His wife Ann (70) and daughter Bridget (26) live with him. James died in 1888. His son John Moody O’Neil (1841-1911) bought property south of his father's at Mississauga Road called the Grange Cottage. Their son John Thomas O’Neil (1878-1931) married Rachael Mosley and they had two sons, Hugh and John. Thomas moved to Vancouver for a short time but returned to his family home and built an addition on to the back of his family homestead at 3361 N. Mississauga Road. Hugh (1913-2006) was the last owner of the homestead and ran a fruit farm. Hugh was an eccentric and very wealthy man who choose to live in his parents neglected farm house.
The property was sold to the donor in 2008. The house and out-buildings have been demolished but heritage organizations were allowed to salvage any items that would help to preserve the history of Mississauga..
Lyles Golden Syrup was established in 1883 by Abram Lyle, a Scottish businessman, who had his sons build a sugar refinery in London, England. The golden syrup that Lyle produced came out of the sugar cane refining process. In 1885 the syrup was sold in tins. In 1921 the company merged with Tate and today remains the only sugar cane refiner in the United Kingdom, as well as being the largest in Europe. The tin packaging remains virtually unchanged except, during WWI, the tin was made out of thick cardboard to conserve metal for the war effort. Source: http://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com