Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1183 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Seeder
  View Full size image
Title: Seeder
Identifier: 2008.12.29
Donor: Mario Druso
Item Date: 1920 – 1950
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A seeder with long wooden handle bars and metal wheels. Two handles are wider in width at the top and curve. They narrow towards the wheels. In between the larger front wheel there is a metal stake used to dig rows of trenches in the ground. There is a wire attached across the base of the handles, possibly to keep the seeder upright during storage. In the middle and right side of the front wheel, the marking, "Plant Jr," is embossed in metal. The front wheel is divided in two with three spokes in the middle of each side. The back wheel is smaller but wider than the front. It has five spokes in the centre, creating a star shape. The wheels are attached to the wood with metal nuts and bolts. The front wheel measures 13 cm in diameter. The back wheel measures 7.5 cm in diameter.

This artifact was salvaged from the O'Neil farm located on 3361 Mississauga Road in Erindale.

James and Ann O’Neil of County Wicklow in Ireland immigrated (after the potato famine) to Quebec, where James found work on the railway. Around 1867 they moved to Streetsville, purchasing two properties equalling 80 acres of land. In the 1877 Ontario Census James (77) was listed as a farmer and a Catholic. His wife Ann (70) and daughter Bridget (26) live with him. James died in 1888. His son John Moody O’Neil (1841-1911) bought property south of his father's at Mississauga Road called the Grange Cottage. Their son John Thomas O’Neil (1878-1931) married Rachael Mosley and they had two sons, Hugh and John. Thomas moved to Vancouver for a short time but returned to his family home and built an addition on to the back of his family homestead at 3361 N. Mississauga Road. Hugh (1913-2006) was the last owner of the homestead and ran a fruit farm. Hugh was an eccentric and very wealthy man who choose to live in his parents neglected farm house.

The property was sold to the donor in 2008. The house and out-buildings have been demolished but heritage organizations were allowed to salvage any items that would help to preserve the history of Mississauga.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850