Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 21 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Bed, Four-Poster
  View Full size image
Title: Bed, Four-Poster
Identifier: 2008.12.34 a-d
Donor: Mario Druso
Item Date: 1920 – 1960
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Green painted four-post bed with (a) head post, (b) foot post, and (c-d) side slats. Each post measures 47 cm in height and 37 cm in width, with an 'M' shaped headboard in a swirled design pattern. The side poles have decorated tops. There are two flower designs at the top and middle; the bottom has a half flower. The bottom quarter has a post running width wise to hold the mattress with two curved inserts to hold the side slats. The left caster is missing. The foot post is a duplicate in design only smaller, measuring 41 cm in height. Both casters are present on the foot post. The side slats measure 70 cm in length and have a right angle shape, to hold the mattress. The insides of the posts are painted beige. On both ends of each post, there are rounded additions which fit into the posts in order to hold them together.

This artifact was salvaged from the O'Neil farm located on 3361 Mississauga Road in Erindale.

James and Ann O’Neil of County Wicklow in Ireland immigrated (after the potato famine) to Quebec, where James found work on the railway. Around 1867 they moved to Streetsville, purchasing two properties equalling 80 acres of land. In the 1877 Ontario Census James (77) was listed as a farmer and a Catholic. His wife Ann (70) and daughter Bridget (26) live with him. James died in 1888. His son John Moody O’Neil (1841-1911) bought property south of his father's at Mississauga Road called the Grange Cottage. Their son John Thomas O’Neil (1878-1931) married Rachael Mosley and they had two sons, Hugh and John. Thomas moved to Vancouver for a short time but returned to his family home and built an addition on to the back of his family homestead at 3361 N. Mississauga Road. Hugh (1913-2006) was the last owner of the homestead and ran a fruit farm. Hugh was an eccentric and very wealthy man who choose to live in his parents neglected farm house.

The property was sold to the donor in 2008. The house and out-buildings have been demolished but heritage organizations were allowed to salvage any items that would help to preserve the history of Mississauga.

This bed frame was originally found in the worker's cottage located on the O'Neil property. According to Mr. Robert Archer, a former employee of the O'Neil farm from the 1960s, the worker's cottage was where the wokers lived when Mr. O’Neil’s mother was running the farm. When Hugh took over the farm, he would have the workers driven to the nearest train or subway station.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850