|Description: A colour photograph of people wandering around, looking at various exhibitors that are set up beneath blue and white nylon tents.|
Photograph taken at the 1994 SunLife Nationals, an annual event held at the Canadian Tennis Championships. Mississauga began hosting the SunLife Nationals in 1984 at the Ontario Racquet Club on Southdown Road. Over the years various city employees were involved with maintenance and operation of the tennis courts during the event.
Tennis was played by many Toronto Township families in the early 1880s including the Adamsons, Harrises and Skynners who all had courts on their properties. The first tennis clubs in the township were formed in the 1890s beside Trinity Church in Streetsville and down by the Lake at the Lorne Park Resort. One of the oldest established clubs still operating today is the Credit Valley Lawn Tennis Club, formed in 1922 by private citizens (the club was originally on Veronica Street in Port Credit but relocated to Huron Park in 1971). When Whiteoaks Tennis Club was established in 1959, it was just one of a handful of tennis courts in public parks. Today there are over 134 tennis courts spread across 45 community and city operated clubs in Mississauga, along with four private, indoor racket clubs, and countless private courts.