|Description: Desktop rotary dial telephone, black with white markings. Handset cord is coiled to 47cm in length. Jack cord is grey, 212cm in length. Housing of base unit and handset is black bakelite. Base is brass. Fastening screws are steel. Embossed on cradle: "GTE Automatic Electric". Under the dial, stamped in black ink: "NB802 CSA OE". On the base, at center, in pencil: "M M".|
This artifact was salvaged from the O'Neil farm located at 3361 Mississauga Road in Erindale.
James and Ann O’Neil of County Wicklow in Ireland immigrated (after the potato famine) to Quebec, where James found work on the railway. Around 1867 they moved to Streetsville, purchasing two properties equalling 80 acres of land. In the 1877 Ontario Census, James (77) was listed as a farmer and a Catholic. His wife Ann (70) and daughter Bridget (26) live with him. James died in 1888. His son John Moody O’Neil (1841-1911) bought property south of his father's at Mississauga Road called the Grange Cottage. Their son John Thomas O’Neil (1878-1931) married Rachael Mosley and they had two sons, Hugh and John. Thomas moved to Vancouver for a short time but returned to his family home and built an addition onto the back of his family homestead at 3361 N. Mississauga Road. Hugh (1913-2006) was the last owner of the homestead and ran a fruit farm. Hugh was an eccentric and very wealthy man who choose to live in his parents neglected farm house.
The property was sold to the donor in 2008. The house and out-buildings have been demolished, but heritage organizations were allowed to salvage any items that would help to preserve the history of Mississauga.