Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 137 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Book - “The Abbot”
  View Full size image
Title: Book - “The Abbot”
Identifier: 2004.2.325
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1925
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A small red hard-covered book entitled 'The Abbot' by Sir Walter Scott, illustrated by D. Chamberlain and published by Collins' Clear-Type Press, London & Glasgow. The book is covered in red cloth and has total of 574 pages. The spine is impressed with gold lettering with information on the title, author and publisher. Both the inside front and back cover is composed a piece of glossy, dark purple paper. The first page of the book is marked with the name: "Kathleen Colloton 1925". The title page, made of a thin sheet of tissue (?) paper is marked with the title of the book while the line: "Manufactured in Great Britain" is printed on the back of the page. The pages that follow feature black and white illustrations printed on a sheet of glossy paper. The left page has a black and white image of three women with the inscription underneath that reads: "Not there-not there-these walls will I never enter more". The opposite page includes information on title, author, illustrator and publisher of the book along with a black and white sketch of a man sitting on an armchair and reading a book.

Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832) was a Scottish historical novelist, poet and playwright. Scott wrote many popular historical novels, most which had a romantic element. His novel 'The Abbot', published in 1820, was centered around Mary Queen of Scots and her imprisonment at Lochleven Castle as well has her abdication, escape and flight to England. The novel was a sequel to Abbot's previous novel 'The Monastery'. www.online-literature.com/walter_scott/ and www.walterscott.lib.ed.ac.uk/works/novels/abbot.html.

Geoffrey Harris Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850