Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 998 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph - William Hare, Ed Fleming and Elenor Blake
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - William Hare, Ed Fleming and Elenor Blake
Identifier: 2006.4.56.2
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1968 - 1969
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A large black and white photograph with white borders. Photograph of Bill Hare, Ed Fleming and Eleanor Blake seated inside the main room of Greyscher house during a recreation committee meeting. Mr. Fleming is seated behind a table, while Mr. Hare is seated to his proper right. Ms. Blake, to Mr. Fleming's proper left, is reading a piece of paper. Mr. Hare has a cigarette hanging from his mouth and his looking for a lighter in his pocket.

The Greyscher House was said to be located on Lakeshore Road. According to Kathleen Hicks' book, "Clarkson and its Many Corners", the house was originally owned and built by George Horace Gooderham, who had a successful farm. George Gooderham came from the famous Gooderham family of Toronto's Gooderham & Worts, known world wide, which were a large distiller of whisky. In 1947 the house was sold to Mrs. Grey and Mrs. Scher. The couple renamed the Greyscher House and opened a nursing home for seniors. In 1955 the Toronto Township purchased the property and the house for the Clarkson Sewage Disposal Plant and used the house as an administration building for the recreation and parks department.

The Toronto Township Recreation Department formed in 1947 and offered organized sports and recreation to residents. Jerry Love was hired in 1959 to organize sport clinics for youth in summer playgrounds across the township.

William (Bill) Hare was also a director for the Toronto Township Recreation and Parks Department in the mid 1950s.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850