|Description: A pair of yellow gold filled mid-Victorian dangling earrings with screw-back clasps. The main body of the earrings is a hollow oval shape with a gold ribbon, or strapwork accents, running vertically and horizontally across the centre. The ribbon has three flowers engraved on each. A small leaf attaches the body to the screw back clasps. The backs of both are slightly dented and one is tarnished more the other giving it an over all darker look. |
These items were donated by Barbara Sayers Larson, the granddaughter of Arthur and Mary Harris of Benares. These items of jewellery are pieces handed down to her as gifts and through inheritances. The exact provenance of each piece is unknown as much of the jewellery in the Harris family came from Captain Harrises relatives in Scotland. The pieces may have also been passed down through Mary Magrath Harris or the Draper family who were connected to the Harrises through the marriage of Annie Harris to Beverly Sayers.
Earring styles that were eccentric and in novelty shapes and styles were popular in the 1870's.
|Copyright: Museums of Mississauga|
|Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga|