Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 431 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Fob
  View Full size image
Title: Fob
Identifier: 2007.2.20
Donor: Barbara Sayers Larson
Item Date: 1830-1860
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A faceted yellow glass and base metal foliate motif spinner fob set. The stone is set at two sides with a base metal frame, yellow in colour, and a circular bale. The stone is cut three sided and is attached at either end with a metal half oval frame. The frame top and bale are decorated with a raised foliated pattern.

Watches were originally been carried on a chain around the neck. When they got smaller they were held in pockets called "fobs" in breeches. Changing clothing styles led to fob pockets being moved from the trouser to the waistcoat or vest. Pocket watches were now held in the vest pocket with the chain hanging out so the watch could be easily removed. Pocket watches and accessories reached the height of their popularity in the 19th century. Watch chains were now called "fobs" themselves. A balancing weight was added to the bottom of the chain to keep it from tangling. This weight was commonly a small personal seal. These seals eventually became known as a "fob" as well. Other parts of watch chains included fasteners to attach the chain to the vest to keep the watch from falling. Prince Albert brought the "Albert chain" into popularity which had a secondary decorative chain which draped across the vest from a button hole to the pocket. Watch chains could be made from metal, cloth or in the Victorian times hair. Along with the seal fob other useful tools like watch keys, whistles, cigar cutters, stamp boxes, monocles, compasses and magnifying glasses were attached. Various charms and personal mementos like a family shield could also be found attached to watch chains. http://reviews.ebay.com/Victorian-Pocket-Watch-Chains-andFobs_W0QQugidZ10000000004629700

These items were donated by Barbara Sayers Larson, the granddaughter of Arthur and Mary Harris of Benares. These items of jewellery are pieces handed down to her as gifts and through inheritances. The exact provenance of each piece is unknown as much of the jewellery in the Harris family came from Captain Harrises relatives in Scotland. The pieces may have also been passed down through Mary Magrath Harris or the Draper family who were connected to the Harrises through the marriage of Annie Harris to Beverly Sayers.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850