Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 205 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Brooch: Bar
  View Full size image
Title: Brooch: Bar
Identifier: 2007.2.24
Donor: Barbara Sayers Larson
Item Date: 1880-1900
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Two yellow gold handy pins with pearlized glass beads set in each. The pins are oblong, tapering the ends. There is a scroll work design on one end and plain at other end where the glass beads are mounted. The pins have bisecting foliate and matte finishes. The clasp is designed as a modern safety pin with a pin-stem on a pivot. The fastener bar tip end is sharp and bent.

Bar brooches were worn by Victorian women as day wear and were most popular during the 1880ís and 1890ís. Discreet bar brooches were lighter and more unassuming then the large ornate brooches of the 1850ís through 1870ís. They were normally worn at the centre of high fastened collars and were often set with small stones, pearls or had novelty symbols or inscribed names. Bar brooches were easy to mass produce due to their size and were a staple of Birmingham jewelry firms in England.

These items were donated by Barbara Sayers Larson, the granddaughter of Arthur and Mary Harris of Benares. These items of jewellery are pieces handed down to her as gifts and through inheritances. The exact provenance of each piece is unknown as much of the jewellery in the Harris family came from Captain Harrises relatives in Scotland. The pieces may have also been passed down through Mary Magrath Harris or the Draper family who were connected to the Harrises through the marriage of Annie Harris to Beverly Sayers.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850