Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 473 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Hair Brooch
  View Full size image
Title: Hair Brooch
Identifier: 2007.2.34
Donor: Barbara Sayers Larson
Item Date: 1850-1882
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A 9K rose gold navette shaped eight-strand clasp with a convex glass cover with hair and small white glass beads inside. The clasp has eight holes on each side. The hair is brown and is laid in a criss cross fashion. The beads made the letters IHM in script lettering. Many of the beads are loose inside the clasp. The back of the clasp is smooth and slightly curved.

Hair jewellery's popularity began in the 17th century with the custom of distributing mourning rings with a lock of the deceasedís hair. The trend grew and increased in variety in the 18th and 19th centuries. Queen Victoria is credited with the English fascination with hair jewellery as she often wore and gave hair jewellery throughout her life. By the mid-19th century hair was no longer only used under glass in lockets or rings but made into entire pieces of jewellery. Hair was woven into intricate designs and pieces including bracelets, watch chains, earrings, etc. Hair jewellery was popular in France, England and the United States.

This item may have belonged to Matilda Lindsay (c.1802-1887), Captain James Harrisís sister who lived in Perth in Scotland. Matilda Lindsay was a consistent correspondent with her brother and sent many care packages to Captain Harris and his family. In a list of jewellery she sent to Canada c. 1882, Matilda lists a number of hair jewellery that she sent including a bracelet of her hair for each of her nieces.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851