|Description: A small black and white square photograph of the Anchorage seen in its original location. The exterior of the Anchorage is covered in brick with the front entrance in clapboard. There are bare trees and patches of snow in front of the building.|
The Anchorage was built by James W. Taylor and called the Anchorage by one of its owners, Commander John Skynner, who came to settle in the area in 1839; the house was originally located on Southdown Road by the lakeshore on land that was originally granted to the Jarvis family.
This one and a half storey Regency Style House is rectangular in plan with a small enclosed porch to the rear and an accretion to the west side. A full basement underlies the first floor. The medium pitched hipped roof has large eaves, underneath which the rafters show. There are two internally bracketed brick chimneys on either side of the house. The foundation was rebuilt when the building was moved to 1620 Orr Road. The Anchorage was once covered in brick before it was moved in 1978. There are two segmental windows on either side of the front door. A twelve over twelve pane, double hung window appears on the western addition, but most other windows have only eighteen panes in total.
Information taken from Property Heritage Detail in the City of Mississauga website.
The moving of the Anchorage to the Bradley Museum site occurred in June of 1978 and cost about $ 55,000.00 to move the building over a 7 hour period. The move was accomplished by Stanwal and House Movers of Toronto and was assisted by various employees and volunteers from Mississauga Hydro, Bell Canada, Peel Regional Police, Recreation and Parks, Terracom and CN.