|Description: A large black and white photograph mounted on foam board. Photograph of local politicians from the Town of Mississauga having a picnic at a park in Erindale. Seated on the far left in the foreground is Mary Fix, who is sitting next to Mayor Robert Speck. Next to him is Frank McKechnie. On the other side of the bench is Ed Halliday, Jerry Love and Bob Harrison.|
The picnic occurred outside on the property of Erindale Community Hall, located at 1620 Dundas Street West. The property is listed on the heritage register but it is not designated.
Ed Halliday was City Manager for the City of Mississauga in 1984. Robert Harrison served on the board of directors for the Toronto Historical Society. He was the vice president of the Bradley House Foundation in 1977, and he was very active in helping to save and restore Lewis Bradley's house.
The Toronto Township Recreation Department formed in 1947 and offered organized sports and recreation to residents. Jerry Love was hired in 1959 to organize sport clinics for youth in summer playgrounds across the township.
Mary was born in Ottawa in 1896. She graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1918 and became the first woman lawyer in Ottawa. As a woman lawyer she did not get important cases so she went into business and became a buyer for a clothing store in Ottawa. She married Albert Fix in 1931 and settled in Toronto Township. While living in Toronto Township she wrote magazine articles and raised show dachshunds until her husbands passing in April of 1945. After Albertís death she became interested in local politics and in 1953 she became Deputy-Reeve of Toronto Township, the first woman to enter politics in the township. She was elected Reeve in 1955 and re-elected in 1957 and 1958. In 1959 she became the first woman Warden of Peel County, and was again elected Reeve in 1961. She was also a member of the Library Board and a founding member of the Toronto Township Historical Society which helped restore and govern the Bradley House Museum.