Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 851 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph - Chief Frank LaForme and Mayor Hazel McCallion
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - Chief Frank LaForme and Mayor Hazel McCallion
Identifier: 2006.4.69.34
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1984
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A black and white photograph of Mayor Hazel McCallion with Chief Frank LaForme. The pair look to be shaking hands as they stand outside on a parking lot adjacent to the proposed site of the Civic Centre.

The Corporation of the City of Mississauga came into being January 4th 1974. In 1805 the area which would be called Mississauga was called Toronto Township, which included the settlements of Lakeview, Clarkson, Cooksville, Dixie, Erindale, Lorne Park, Port Credit, Sheridan, Streetsville, Meadowvale and Summerville. In 1968 the villages of Lakeview, Cooksville, Lorne Park, Clarkson, Erindale, Sheridan, Dixie, Meadowvale Village, and Malton amalgamated to form the Town of Mississauga.

In 1971 city council moved their offices from Cooksville to a six storey office building located at 1 City Centre Drive. Between the years of 1984 and 1987, the new Civic Centre was built and the City Hall offices were moved to their present location, 300 City Centre Drive. The ground breaking for the new $55 million facility occurred on May 8th, 1984. The building and complex encompasses a 10 acre site on Burnhamthorpe Road, west of Hurontario Street. John Black Aird, the Ontario Lieutenant Governor, was also present at the groundbreaking ceremony.

The Mississaugas of New Credit First Nations has has over 1500 members today. About one-third live on the 2,392 hectares of land reserve located adjacent to Hagersville, Ontario. In 1805, 250,880 acres of land was sold to the British Crown from the Mississaugas, enabling the settlement of the land that would later become the City of Mississauga.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851