|Description: A black and white photograph of local dignitaries performing the ceremonial groundbreaking for the New Civic Centre in 1984. Standing from left to right are: councillor Margaret Marland, councillor Frank McKechnie, Mayor Hazel McCallion and Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario John Black Aird. The group are all standing outside underneath a striped tent, while digging into the grass with their shovels. Facing the group look to be various photographers taking pictures.|
The Corporation of the City of Mississauga came into being January 4th 1974. In 1805 the area which would be called Mississauga was called Toronto Township, which included the settlements of Lakeview, Clarkson, Cooksville, Dixie, Erindale, Lorne Park, Port Credit, Sheridan, Streetsville, Meadowvale and Summerville. In 1968 the villages of Lakeview, Cooksville, Lorne Park, Clarkson, Erindale, Sheridan, Dixie, Meadowvale Village, and Malton amalgamated to form the Town of Mississauga.
In 1971 city council moved their offices from Cooksville to a six storey office building located at 1 City Centre Drive. Between the years of 1984 and 1987, the new Civic Centre was built and the City Hall offices were moved to their present location, 300 City Centre Drive. The ground breaking for the new $55 million facility occurred on May 8th, 1984. The building and complex encompasses a 10 acre site on Burnhamthorpe Road, west of Hurontario Street. John Black Aird, the Ontario Lieutenant Governor, was also present at the groundbreaking ceremony.