|Description: A teapot (987.10.1 j a) with a blue and rust coloured floral lustreware pattern. The lid (987.10.1 j b) has a flower shaped design.
History: This pattern was typically known as ‘Gaudy Welsh’ and was made at the Dillwyn’s Cambrian factory in Swansea, Wales c. 1825- 1845. The Cambrian Pottery was founded by William Coles in 1764. William’s son, George Haynes, went into business with Lewis Weston Dillwyn in 1802 who became the sole owner in 1810 when Haynes left the business. In 1811, T&J. Bevington became a partner and the company became Dillwyn & Company. Lewis Llewelyn Dillwyn managed the pottery from 1836 to 1870 when the site was sold to Cory, Yeo & Co. Cambrian employed many of the best artist of the day such as Thomas Rothwell. For more information on Cambrian Pottery see www.swanshearitage.net/article/gat.asp or www.powysantiques.co.uk .