Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 304 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Cream Pitcher
Identifier: 978.36.2
Donor: Mrs. Margaret Lawrence
Item Date: 1839-1864
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2007
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Octagonally-shaped earthenware cream or milk pitcher with two dark blue transfer printed scenes, one on each side. In the foreground are buildings, landscapes, and two individuals. In the background are a river, bridge, and buildings. Dark blue transfer of floral and swag motif is found around the base on the handle and around the interior and interior rim of the pouring surface. There is a blue transfer printed mark on the base 'Ironstone' (figure of a phoenix with wings spread) 'Udina' 'J Clementson'. History: Made by J. Clementson, Phoenix Works, Sheltan, Hanley, England. The word ‘Udina’ referrs to a volcano on the Kamchatka Penninsula of Russia. Joseph Clementson (J.Clementson) was the sole proprietor of the Phoenix Works in Shelton, Hanley, Staffordshire, England from c.1839 (after a period of joint ownership as Reed and Clementson - which began c.1832) until 1916. According to Jeffrey B. Snyder in his 'Romantic Staffordshire Ceramics' (1997), the works prospered and were expanded in 1845. In 1856, Clementson purchased the Bell Works previously occupied by William Ridgway. Clementson's firm produced granitewares with white surfaces and with painted or printed decoration. The firm was known for their high quality transfer printed designs. Much of Clementson's production was exported to America and Canada. Clementson produced a variety of Romantic Staffordshire patterns such as Siam and Lucerne, and series of patterns including Classical Antiquities, Palermo, and Sydenham. His sons succeeded him and traded as "Clementson Brothers" until 1916. REF: http://cgi.ebay.com/c-1850s-J-CLEMENTSON-TRANSFERWARE-SIAM-LUNCHEON-PLATE_W0QQitemZ290067751613QQcmdZViewItem (visited 27 February 2007)
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851