|Description: A crazy quilt consisting of random pieces of fabric material: cotton, wool and velvet with different weaves and textures. The fabric is multi-coloured. The top of the quilt is stitched with a blanket stitch and feather stitch. The back is tacked with coloured wool x's and stars. The backing consists of twill weave with a black and red paisley pattern on a yellowish background.
The quilt originally belonged to the donor's grandmother, Catherine Ann Greeniaus (née Kennedy), who was born in 1832 and died in 1920. Catharine was married to Gaylord Greeniaus and was his second wife. They had five children: Norman, Sophora, Charles, William, and Arletta.
Gaylord Greeniaus (1827-1893) was the son of Elizabeth Ann Greeniaus (née Oliphant, 1803-1866) and Peter (1797-1871) and grandson to Sebastian (1761-1847) and Eve (1766-1844) Greeniaus who were early settlers in Toronto Township. Sebastian was a United Empire Loyalist who emigrated from the United States to Toronto Township around 1806. He fulfilled his settlement duties on June 27, 1808 which allowed him to get a second land grant of 200 acres on July 1,1808.
Gaylord was born and lived all his life on the farm his grandfather established located on the 2nd Concession, south side, Dundas Street, in Toronto Township (area later known as Sheridan before becoming part of Clarkson). Gaylord was a farmer and was a notable exhibitor at all principal Ontario fairs winning many medals for his cereals, fruit, and apiary products. He was a staunch Conservative and a member of the Methodist Church in Clarkson which later became the Carman Methodist Episcopal Church (now Christ Church). As a neighbour he was described as "eminently sociable and always ready to lend a helping hand in time of need". Gaylord Greeniaus is buried in Spring Creek Cemetery in Clarkson. Information from the Barnett Scrapbooks, Canadiana Room, Mississauga Library Systems. Also see Kathleen Hicks "Clarkson and its Many Corners" Mississauga Library Systems, 2002.