Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 199 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Brooch
Identifier: 2005.1.6
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: c.1850
Image Creator: Museums of Mississuaga
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A 14 carat gold brooch mounting with no central stone. The brooch mount has a stamped scrolled and scalloped rocaille edging with filigree wire foliated decoration.

History: Kathleen Agnes Sayers neť Colloton (1907 -1981) was the wife of Geoffrey Sayers. Kathleen, known as Kay, married Geoffrey in 1933 at St. Peterís Anglican Church in Erindale. Kay and Geoffrey never had any children and were the last Harris relatives to live at Benares. This jewellery was part of Kay Sayers Estate and was donated by Geoffrey Sayers. Many of these pieces were originally from inheritances through the Harris and Draper families.
Ostentatious French jewellery of the era of Louis Philippe (1830-1848) and its English counterpart were inspired by the court styles of the 18th century and particularly Rococo. Large coloured stones (or pastes over coloured foils) were set in scrollwork of swirling leaves, tendrils, flowers and rocaille (rococo ornament based on sea shells and crustacean) to give an illusion of depth and weight while really being stamped out of thin sheets of gold.
Copyright: Museusm of Mississuaga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga
pcomapp01:8851