|Description: A tinted photograph of Naomi Maud Harris. The photograph itself is square, adhered to a cardboard backing. The cardboard backing was at one time cut into an oval shape, cutting the corners from the photograph as well. There is evidence of pencil tracing the oval shape. The cardboard backing had watercolour painting at one time, possibly of flowers or leaves. In the photograph, the tint is also watercolour, mainly on the clothing she is wearing. Her hair is dark brown and is up. Her dress is a blue-purple tone, with a frilly lace collar. She is wearing a necklace with three pink jewels hanging down from her neck. On the back, in pencil, upside down, reads: 'Ms. N. Harris, 71 St. George', which was the address of her aunts' Lucy and Bessie Harris in Toronto. There is a single hole at the top above the photograph, indicating it was nailed or pinned to something at some point. The photograph has been professionally mounted in an archival frame. |
History:Naomi Maud Harris (1883-1968) was the second daughter of Arthur and Mary Harris and lived at Benares. Naomi never married and lived at her family home her entire life. She was a lifelong member of St. Peter's Anglican Church in Erindale participating in the Sunday school and the women's auxiliary.
This photograph was believed to have been taken by the Toronto firm of Notman that was owned by William Notman and John Fraser. They would regularly hire artists to paint photographs and backdrops for their subjects.