Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 819 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - Annie Sayers
Identifier: 979.6.1652
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: c.1935
Image Creator: unknown
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A black and white photograph with colour tinting of Annie Harris Sayers. Her name is written in blue ink across the back of the mat. The photograph is adhered to a beige piece of mat board, which has a slight crease in the lower right hand corner. Annie is depicted facing left with her head looking towards the camera. She is wearing a dark top with a feathered boa around the collar. Her hair is pulled back.

Annie Harris Sayers (1882-1986) was born in 1882, to Arthur and Mary Harris (née Magrath), of Benares. Annie and her younger sister Naomi were raised in an atmosphere of upper middle class comfort. They were educated at home by governesses, and then were sent to Miss Dupont's School for Ladies in Toronto, where they stayed with their aunts throughout the week. As Annie and Naomi grew up, Benares was a frequent area for lawn tennis matches, weekend parties, and croquet games on the lawn.

Annie Harris married Beverly Sayers in 1906, and together they built a house on the southern part of the Benares Estate, given to them by Annie's parents. After their marriage ended in 1925, Annie continued to live in the 'Log Bungalow', raising her three children alone. Annie and Beverly had three children: Geoffrey, (1907-1998); Dora, (1915-2004); and Barbara, (1920-).

Annie was known as a very creative, generous, and sweet woman. She celebrated her 100th birthday in 1982 with a large party at Benares. She lived to be 104, dying in 1986. She is buried at Spring Creek Cemetery in Clarkson.

This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997.

Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloten) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.
Copyright: Museums of Mississuaga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850