Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 822 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - Arthur Harris
Identifier: 979.6.406
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: c. 1867
Image Creator: Unknown
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A black and white photograph of a head and shoulders view of a man ( Arthur Harris). He has a moustache that connects with his sideburns, and a full head of hair. He is wearing a suit with a tie, and is not smiling. This photgraph has been archivally mounted.

Arthur Beveridge Harris (1843-1932) was the only surviving son of Elizabeth (née Molony) (1829-1884) and Captain James Beveridge Harris (1797-1884). He later married Mary Magrath (1859-1954) and they had three children, Annie (1882-1986), Naomi (1883-1968), and Margaret (1887) who died shortly after birth. Arthur helped his father with the daily tasks of maintaining a farm. He inherited Benares in 1884, upon the death of his father, Captain Harris. In the same decade, both Arthur and Mary received a number of inheritances that made life easier at Benares.

This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (nee Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Armed Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45.

Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloten) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.
Copyright: Musuems of Mississuaga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850