Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 412 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Family Tree- Jarvis Family #2
  View Full size image
Title: Family Tree- Jarvis Family #2
Identifier: 2008.13.9
Item Date: 1905
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2008
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A family tree made from two sheets of onion skin paper taped together. The tree consists of black and red ink handwriting. The generations are identified by Roman numerals along the left hand margin. The top right corner reads, _Condensed chart - showing descent of Canadian Jarvises, Red lines show descent through Col. Stephen Jarvis (69)_. There is a note in the bottom left corner reading, _VII, IX, X Generations (not specified in detail) I have not re-tabulated the results of an almost world wide correspondence for gathering data_. In the bottom right corner there is a note asking about where the name _Murray_ came _to be adapted_ in to the family branches. The pages are very ripped and torn along the edges.

HISTORY:The family tree was found with a collection of Jarvis family papers. The family tree starts with Stephen Jarvis (1) of Huntington, Long Island, _an English lawyer probably from Stafford. Died 1693_. (69) is Col. Stephen Jarvis, U.E.L. who _moved from N.B. to Toronto in 1809, married Amelia Glover_. (212) is Frederick Starr Jarvis, _Sheriff of York_. Frederick's eldest son, (551) Frederick William Jarvis (1818-1887) married Caroline Skynner (1826-1916) in 1857, who lived at The Anchorage. The Anchorage, now the administrative office for the Museums of Mississauga, had originally belonged to the Jarvis family who sold it to Commander John Skynner in 1838. Frederick and Caroline moved into a mansion known as Woodlawn, located on the southeast corner of Wellesley and Jarvis in Toronto. Frederick William was deputy-sheriff of the Home District under his uncle, William Botsford Jarvis (1799-1856), and replaced him as sheriff in 1856. Frederick donated a portion of his property for a nursing home for the elderly and a home for the care of orphaned children. Caroline took an active role in the operation of both institutions. Both sites are now today's Wellesley Hospital in Toronto.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Virtual Museum of Canada
pcomapp01:8850