|Description: A solid wood octagonal shaped occasional table. The top consists of a flat octagonal sheet of wood that have sides that slant down. Underneath the top a moulding is nailed around the table. The top is attached to the body by four steel (?) screws. The body of the table also is octagonal shape and the has a series of cut out patterns of spade and oval like designs that form the eight legs. The entire table is varnished on the outside but not on the underside.|
HISTORY:Furniture from this accession belonged to members of the Graydon Family of Streetsville. These items were inherited by Mrs. Jean Burns from her parents and aunts who passed away during the 1960's. Her aunts were named Hattie (1867-1961), Mabel (1871-1964), and Mysia (1874-1960). These three women never married and were known as 'the Graydon Girls'. Jean’s parents were Austin and Bertha (née Shaw) Graydon. John Graydon was their father (1836-1904) who was a prominent builder in Streetsville from 1850-1900. John was a dedicated member of the Methodist Church and worked on the Public and High School Boards for more than thirty years. He was also a Streetsville Councillor and Reeve from 1877-1898, and a Warden of Peel County in 1897. A staunch supporter of the Conservative Party, he was a Justice of the Peace and was instrumental in the construction of the Credit Valley Railway that linked Streetsville with rail service in 1879. A notable aunt was Hattie who trained to be a nurse in Chicago and was Ontario's first public health nurse. She travelled all over Ontario and did a lot of work in northern Ontario.
The donor, Dorothy Galajda, is the niece of Jean and Kirby Burns who have donated other Graydon items to the Museums of Mississauga including two portraits of John and Jane Graydon and accessories worn by ‘ the Graydon Girls’.