Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1398 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Watercolour Painting - "The Cottage"
Identifier: 2004.6.173
Donor: Barbara Larson
Item Date: c. 1860
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A watercolour painting of The Cottage, a small, red brick home. The home is surrounded by a lovely garden and has a forest behind. There are vines growing up the corners and around the frame of the door. There is a signature in the bottom right corner reading: I. M. Sutherland, Toronto. The painting has been rematted but is in the original frame. The frame is wood, plain, with a darker stain outlining carved features. The back is lined with brown paper and has two metal triangular hooks screwed to the frame, holding a metal wire for hanging. There is a large piece of paper attached by the donor with the history of the painting. Below is a framing store sticker: The Artist's Friend, Gallery-Custom Framing, 1150 Lorne Park Road, Mississauga ON L5 H 3A5, 905-274-7011. History: On the back of the painting, a handwritten note from Barbara has been attached, indicating the history of the painting. It reads: 'The Cottage, Erindale. Circa 1860.' The painting was by Isobel Sutherland, daughter of Capt. Edward Sutherland and sister of Christianna Magrath, mother of Mary Magrath Harris of Benares. The house was built in 1854 for Mrs. Joanna Skynner (a widow). Miss Edith Draper bought the house in 1910, after retiring from nursing. She was Barbara Sayers Larson's great-aunt and the sister of Katherine (Draper) Sayers, Barbara's paternal grandmother. Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1883-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1968 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her mother by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850