|Description: A metal stencil with 'A. A. Gage'. One side is heavily coated with green and black paint. The other side has light traces of red paint. Two corners have been cut off on a diagonal. The metal is relatively light. |
History : Mississauga was a major producer of fruit during much of the 20th century. Apples were a very successful crop for Mississauga farmers, especially in the Dixie area. A lasting testimony to this success can be found reflected in the many Mississauga street names connected to the apple such as Courtland Crescent, Orchard Road, Melton Drive, Duchess Drive, Greening Avenue, and Harvest Drive. The Gage House was located at 6265 Second Line East, Concession 3, E H S, Lot 11, between Steeles and Derry Road East. It was demolished in 1981. The original Gage House was built in the 1870s. Sir William James Gage (1849-1921) was key in the decrease of Tuberculosis (also known as Consumption) in Canada. As a child, Gage was afflicted with TB as were many of the farm hands on the Gage Farm. He recovered and later funded a chain of tuberculosis sanatoriums which helped to isolate those who were ill so as not to spread the disease and helped them to recover. The development of the x-ray helped to correctly diagnosis TB and was extensively used at the Gage Institute named after Gage for his efforts to help eradicate TB.