Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 729 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Paper Block Blade
Identifier: 2003.2.163
Donor: Barbara Larson
Item Date: 1920
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A small flat metal tool with a right angle bend in the metal, about .5 cm deep. One edge of metal is sharpened. This tool is used for loosening water-colour paper from the solid block in which it is sold. The pages are glued together and are used while still in solid form to prevent water-colour paint from buckling the paper. Once dry, the painting is loosened from the solid block by sliding the blade between the top sheet and rest of the black of paper. 'WINSOR & NEWTON, PATENT BLOCK BLADE NO 27566' inscribed on side. History: Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her mother by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850