|Description: A round carved brooch, dark brown in colour. The clasp is loose at one end. The design of the brooch includes scalloped edges, with circular ridges (very fine) around the whole brooch, and eight holes cut right through the brooch.
History: Bog Oak was an inexpensive substitute for Whitby Jet. Bog Oak is a dark brown fossilized material that came from the peat bogs of Ireland and was particularly popular during the 1850’s and 1860’s. It was appropriate for mourning and its popularity was largely nationalistic. See Ginny Redington Dawes and Corinne Davivov ‘Victorian Jewelry: Unexplored Treasures’ (Abbeville Press Publishers, New York, 1991), 55-95.
Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.