Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 535 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Ivory Laundry Starch - St. Lawrence Starch
Identifier: 2002.1.17
Donor: Bill Gray
Item Date: 1960-1975
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A rectangular cardboard box used to package laundry starch. The container is navy blue with white and red lettering. The front of the box reads "Ivory Laundry Starch, 500g, also works in the wash". This is repeated on the opposite side in French. Directions for use are on both sides of the container and are in both French and English. This box has never been used and is folded flat. History: The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic. St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street and Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see "St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989".
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851