|Description: A cardboard container used to package laundry starch. The box is rectangular with flaps that fold on the top and bottom. The box is a royal blue colour with a blue and white dotted pattern around the edges and red and white lettering. The box is printed on all edges with information in both French and English. The front cover reads "One pound net weight, Ivory Gloss Laundry Starch, St. Lawrence Starch Company Limited, Port Credit, Ontario, Trade Mark Registered, Makes more than 2 gallons liquid starch". The back of the box gives directions for use.
History: The St. Lawrence Starch Company was founded in 1889 by John Gray. It was a corn wet-milling operation with the purpose of producing starch and glucose from corn. Many of the product lines produced by St. Lawrence Starch are still in use today such as Durham Starch and Bee Hive Corn Syrup. Food products were only a small portion of the business done at St. Lawrence Starch as starch is an additive in many industrial products such as cement and plastic.
St. Lawrence Starch was located at the bottom of Hurontario Street and Lakeshore Road in Port Credit. It was a major industry for this area. The milling operation closed down in 1990 due to competition and high tariffs on corn. In 1993 St. Lawrence Starch announced a marketing alliance with Cargill, Minneapolis, which provides Cargill with exclusive sales services of corn sweeteners and corn starches in the Canadian Market. For more information on the St Lawrence Starch Company, see "St Lawrence Starch 100 Years 1889-1989".|