Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 434 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Folding Wringer Bench
Identifier: 2005.2.1
Donor: Lorne Hamilton
Item Date: 1880-1890
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A folding wringer bench, with a metal wringer and wooden bench that unfolds on both side to hold two laundry baskets. The wringer, when folded, stands on two wooden legs, each with a wooden foot attached by four metal braces screwed into the wood for stability. About 27.5 cm up from the ground, there is a rectangular piece of wood extending between the legs, also for stability. Along the outer sides of both legs reads: FOLDING BENCH WRINGER. On either side of the wringer, there is a bench that unfolds, with a wooden stand that comes out for the bench to rest on. There are two wooden rungs across the bench, which are designed to hold a basket. When the bench folds up, the wooden stand folds up with it, and is held to the wringer with two metal hooks with eye screws on the benches. Just above this, there is a wooden lip that extends out at a lowered angle, underneath the covered cogwheels that the clothes are rung through. Across the top of the wooden lip reads: DOWSWELL, LEES & CO, LIMITED, HAMILTON CANADA. This lip helped feed the clothing through the cogwheels. Just above the cogwheels is a carved dowel, almost serving as a handle. On one side of the dowel reads: COVERED COGWHEELS. The other side reads: ARROW BRAND/ARROW BRAND. On either end, there is a metal handle which screws down to tighten or loosen the cogwheels. On one side, there is a wooden handle with a metal arm for turning the wringer. There are remnants of varnish in places, as well as red paint. History: This wringer and bench is typical of items that would have been available to residents of Mississauga. This item belonged to Nelson F. Smith, born 26 September 1927 and died 13 January 2005. He was born and raised in Sackville, New Brunswick, and served in the Korean War. After the war, he moved to Mississauga where he resided for 42 years on Wiseman Court in Clarkson. Nelson worked for Anchor Cap (later Anchor Hocking) making bottle caps and glass bottles. He was married and had three children. Sadly, all predeceased him.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850