Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 797 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - "First Methodist Church"
Identifier: 2005.3.1
Donor: Ruth Auld
Item Date: 1915-1920
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A framed photograph, depicting a white walled church. The church is white, very plain in design, and has a chimney coming out of the back. The photograph is surrounded with beige matt board, that has discoloured. The frame is plain, with a small design and painted silver. The backing is loose, held together with nails. There are remnants and stains from tape. There is metal wiring that is twist on the back, held to the frame by nails hammered down. There is an eye hook dangling from the wire. The history of the church is written on the back of the frame, in blue ink. See history for details. The donor's information is also written on the back in blue ink. History: According to the back of the photograph, the church in the photo is the 'First Methodist Church' built in 1860. In 1875, it was sold to the school trustees and served as a school until 1904-6 Oct. A new brick school house was built and the old wooden school house was moved across the road and placed for lot lease from Jim Reynolds where the Bell Telephone office now stands. The building was used as a meeting hall in Clarkson until 1920 when it was destroyed by fire. Further research indicates that the First Methodist Church services began in 1830 in S.S. #6 School and meeting place, and that this church was built in 1859. In 1860, a deed was granted for land to be used for a meeting house and burial grounds. The First Methodist Church was used for 16 years, when a newer, larger church was built in 1875. The old building was then used as a school house and community hall until 1929, when it burned down. For more information, see: Kathleen A. Hicks. "Clarkson and its Many Corners" Mississauga: Mississauga Library System, 2002. The photograph belonged to Douglas Auld (1913-2004) who moved to Mississauga some time in the 1920s. It was donated by his wife, Ruth. Douglas started a butcher shop in 1947 that is still in operation today and is run by his son, William Auld. It is located on Clarkson Road North. Ruth and Douglas met while he was on holiday in Florida, and married in 1985. They had 20 wonderful years together.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850