Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 387 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Earrings
Identifier: 979.6.1188
Donor: Geoffrey H. Sayers
Item Date: 1860-1890
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A pair of 9 carat yellow gold drop earrings. These earrings are for pierced ears and are decorated with pearls and facetted reddish purple garnets. There is a tear shaped decoration that hangs down from a loop attached to the main body of the earring. Similar in style to 2005.1.12. May be part of a parure. History: Parure is a matching set of jewelry usually a necklace, brooch, earrings, and a bracelet. Parures were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries. Demi-parures are smaller sets of jewelry such as earrings and a brooch or earrings and a necklace. Kathleen Agnes Sayers neť Colloton (19xx -1981) was the wife of Geoffrey Sayers. Kathleen, known as Kay, married Geoffrey in 1933 at St. Peterís Anglican Church in Erindale. Kay and Geoffrey never had any children and were the last Harris relatives to live at Benares. This jewelry was part of Kay Sayers Estate and was donated by Geoffrey Sayers. Many of these pieces were originally from inheritances through the Harris and Draper families. This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (nee Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Armed Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45.Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (nee Colloten) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851