Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1389 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Waste Bucket
Identifier: 2004.6.100
Donor: Barbara Larson
Item Date: 1891-1913
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A ceramic cream-coloured bucket decorated with printed flowers. The bucket's handle is made out of wicker. The same floral design is found on two sides of the bucket. Two smaller different designs are printed below the knobs supporting the wicker handle. The knobs are 6 cm in diameter and extend 3 cm out from the bucket. The knobs are fluted and show some remaining gold paint. The bucket's outside top rim (1 cm wide) also shows some gold paint which has mostly worn away. The entire exterior of the bucket is slightly fluted. There is a lip (0,5 cm) on the inside of the top of the of the bucket which suggests that the bucket had a lid. The flowers are yellow, pink, blue, mauve and green. They are accented with a deep maroon colour. The wicker handle is attached to the knobs with loops of wicker. The handle folds down but when upright, it extends 13 cm above the top rim. The bucket is very cracked and shows evidence of repairs. On the bottom of the bucket reads: "S.F. & Co., England." "290" is written in red. The number "92_"is engraved into the edge. There are five red dots. History:This waste bucket was used to carry waste water, etc. from the bedrooms at Benares Historic House. 'Kovels New Dictionary of Marks' shows S. F. & Co as S. Fielding and Co., Stoke, Staffordshire, England, c. 1891-1913. The crown is slightly different however. Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary Harris (1859-1954), née Magrath. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in the log cabin originally given to her parents by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. Barbara still maintains a close tie with Benares and currently lives in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850