Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 481 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Handkerchief
Identifier: 2005.4.110
Donor: Barbara Larson
Item Date: 1925
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A white silk lace handkerchief with embroidered initials reading 'A.H.'. The centre square of the handkerchief is 18 x 18 cm with a 6 cm lace frill around the edge. The frill and cotton have discoloured to a light brown. History:This handkerchief was a gift from Barbara to her mother Annie Sayers. She embroidered the initials on the handkerchief. Annie Harris Sayers (1882-1986) was born in 1882, to Arthur and Mary Harris (née Magrath), of Benares. Annie and her younger sister Naomi were raised in an atmosphere of upper middle class comfort. They were educated at home by governesses, and then were sent to Miss Dupont's School for Ladies in Toronto, where they stayed with their aunts throughout the week. As Annie and Naomi grew up, Benares was a frequent area for lawn tennis matches, weekend parties, and croquet games on the lawn.Annie Harris married Beverly Sayers in 1906, and together they built a house on the southern part of the Benares Estate, given to them by Annie's parents. After their marriage ended in 1925, Annie continued to live in the 'Log Bungalow', raising her three children alone. Annie and Beverly had three children: Geoffrey, (1907-1998); Dora, (1915-2004); and Barbara, (1920-).Annie was known as a very creative, generous, and sweet woman. She celebrated her 100th birthday in 1982 with a large party at Benares. She lived to be 104, dying in 1986. She is buried at Spring Creek Cemetery in Clarkson. Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her mother by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850