|Description: One of ten sepia photographs of Gibraltar with titles written on the back. Some of the photos have military characteristics, which may indicate that they were acquired by a serviceman (perhaps a member of the Harris family?) (a) 'Southport Gate' - a picture of cannon balls and torpedoes stacked beside a road at the bottom of a hill. It is winter time.
History: The photos of Gibraltar probably belonged to the Harris aunts in Scotland who maintained contact with the Harris military men. For example, Colonel Thomas Marshall Harris (1828-ca. 1900) commanded the Royal Artillery at Gibraltar in 1879 and corresponded regularly with Matilda Lindsay (née Harris) at Rose Terrace, Perth. Many of her belongings were sent to her brother, Captain James Beveridge Harris (1797-1884), at Benares after her death in 1887.
Gibraltar, a British dependency, was captured from Spain in 1704 by English admiral George Rooke (1650-1709) and was ceded to Britain under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. For a military history of Gibraltar, see: Maurice Harvey ‘Gibraltar’ (Staplehurst : Spellmount, 1996).
Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.