Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 428 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Flat Iron
Identifier: 2003.2.17
Donor: Barbara Sayers Larson
Item Date: 1900-1910
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A flat iron with a handle engraved with a line of inverted V's. A raised letter 'L' is on the flat section of the iron and there is the space between the bases of the two handles. The iron is heavily rusted everywhere except on the top of the handle. History: Ironing was done mostly by maids and servants hired by upper- class families who could afford household help. The Harris’s comfortable way of life was made possible by the work of servants and hired help. There was usually at least one female domestic servant living at Benares and, at times, a handyman as well. For example, Edith Grieg was hired as a governess for Naomi (1883-1968) and Annie Harris (1882-1986). A woman named ‘Carrie’ also lived at Benares in 1918 and used the ‘maid’s room’ on the first floor. Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1882-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her mother by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851