Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 402 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Engraving – Nella Rocca di Alessandria Cleopatra ottiene da Cesare la restituzione de la Corona di Egpitto
Identifier: 2006.2.1.4
Donor: Geoff Jarvis
Item Date: 1806
Image Creator: Museums of Mississuaga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A framed engraving entitled "Nella Rocca di Alessandria Cleopatra ottiene da Cesare la restituzione de la Corona di Egpitto". The image depicts a kneeling woman (Cleopatra) in along dress and robe pleading with a standing soldier (Caesar). There is a crown behind the woman and a group of soldiers watching the scene. The lower band of the image is plain and contains Italian script with the title, artist name, designer, etc. There is also a quote (?) possibly from the original play/written text about the event. The top proper left hand corner has the artist name "Pietro Bonato Veneto Bassanesa incise in Roma 1806". The frame is a dull gold colour with a decorative boarder of acanthus leaves which have a white washed patina that highlights the design. The engraving is covered with glass. A Roman copper plate engraving entitled "Cleopatra and Caesar", 1806, by Pietro Bonata Veneto Bassanese. This engraving depicts Cleopatra’s meeting with Caesar in Alexandria in which she pleads for the return of her role as queen of Egypt (48 B.C.). John Skynner (1762-1846) was born in England in 1762. His family had a strong connection with the Royal Navy with both his father and grandfather serving as high ranking officers. John would follow in this tradition with a distinguished naval career. Little is known of Skynner outside of his naval accomplishments. From _O’Byrne’s Naval Biographical Dictionary, 1849_ we have a clear record of his rise through the Royal Navy. The dictionary states that Skynner joined the Navy in 1795 as an Able Bodied Seaman. He quickly moved through the ranks serving as a Midshipman and Master’s Mate in the Mediterranean.During the time he served in the Mediterranean, he was present for the evacuation of Corsica (1796) and saw action near Cape St. Vincent (1797). He continued to serve on the Ville De Paris and Isis and then became the Acting Lieutenant on the Nemesis. He became a full Lieutenant on March 8th, 1802 for the Amazon. While in command of the Amazon, he brought the Duke of Kent to England from Gibraltar and then returned to the Mediterranean. His daughter recalls him telling stories of the Duke walking with him on deck during this voyage. The Duke of Kent was the father of Queen Victoria. Skynner also held command of the gun-bring Hirondelle from June 19th, 1804 until December 14th, 1807.Lieutenant John Skynner was presented with a piece of plate (silver cup) given by the Merchants and others residing in the Island of Malta as a token of respect for his very meritorious conduct and unremitted attention to the numerous convoys under his charge while in the Mediterranean. He was listed as a retired Commander on April 10th, 1838. Details of his personal life are few. He married a woman named Joanna who was 22 years younger then himself. They had six children, four boys and two girls. The oldest child, John, was born in 1816 when John was 54 years old. It can be assumed that John must have started his family some time after 1807 when details of his active Navy career end. Perhaps he returned to England and felt he was secure enough to support a wife and family. After his retirement in 1838 at the age of 76, he emigrated to Upper Canada. His reasons for emigrating so late in life are not clear although it was not uncommon for retired officers to resettle in the colonies where there were lots of opportunities and readily available land. Perhaps he had his children’s future security in mind when embarking on this endeavour. The family lived at The Anchorage which originality was located at the foot of the present Southdown Road on the shores of Lake Ontario. This property originally belonged to the Jarvis family who had used it for shipping goods to and from York (Toronto) and Niagara. His family seems to have been fairly prosperous and any concern for his family’s welfare was unfounded. The family seems to have been well connected and community minded.
Copyright: Museums of Mississuaga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850