|Description: 'Ordinance Survey of England and Wales - Portsmouth and Southampton - Second War Revision', by the Geographical Section, General Staff, at the War Office, 1941. Map is coloured, including references for railways, mineral lines, water pipelines, marshes, rough pasture, wood, public parks, quarries, gravel pits, orchards, parks and ornamental grounds, glass houses, National trust areas, canals and ferries. Water masses included on the map are the Southampton Water, The Solent, Spithead, Portsmouth Harbour, Langston Harbour, and Chichester Harbour. The bottom of the map contains a reference chart in the bottom left hand corner, along with a reference for the map number. The scale of the map is 'One Inch to One Statute Mile = 1/63, 360'. Below the scale is the altitude information and the copyright information. Next to that is an explanation concerning the 'Relation of Grid Letters and Sheet Numbers', followed by the legend. On the right hand side of the map is the compass.
History: Item originally used by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (née Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves. Along with sisters Dora Sayers and Barbara Sayers Larson, Geoff donated Benares to the Museums of Mississauga in 1995.|