Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 269 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Christmas Card - "The Lorne Scots"
Identifier: 2003.2.159
Donor: Barbara Sayers Larson
Item Date: 1945
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A card with the crest of the Lorne Scots, from the Peel, Dufferin, and Halton Region. Below the crest are the words “Allied with the Royal Ulster Rifles XX The Lancashire Fusiliers”. Inside on the left hand page is a letter to Geoffrey Sayers from Chris, who was on board the same ship. The name at the top of the page is “Lt. C. Armstrong 8 Bu 2 G. B. R. D. C. A. O”. On the right hand page is the words “With Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year. From Chris.” At the bottom of the page in small print is “The Lorne Scots”. On the back of the card in pencil are some arithmetic calculations. History: The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiments) is one of the oldest infantry regiments in Canada, tracing its history back to the 1790's when the first militia was raised in what was then the British Colony of Upper Canada. They were formed as part of a special military designed to protect the new colony. Over the years, there were various regiments formed to serve the Canadian Militia. It was not until the Fenian uprising (the Irish attempt to free Canada from British control), however, that the Canadian Authorities realized that there was a lack of training and equipment within the Militia, and a decision was made to completely reorganize it. In September of 1866, the 20th Halton Battalion of Infantry was formed. This was the beginning of the two regiments which 70 years later would become the Lorne Scots. The first Scottish connection was not made until September of 1879, when the Halton Rifles were reviewed by His Excellency the Marquis of Lorne. In 1881, permission was received to re designate the battalion as The 20th Halton Battalion Lorne Rifles. The regiment wore tartan trews and a diced glengarry, and a pipe band was authorized and formed. In 1929, the Peel and Dufferin Regiment became allied with the Lancashire Fusiliers. In 1936 a general reorganization of all militia units in Canada was carried out and the Peel and Dufferin Regiment and Lorne Rifles were disbanded and the Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiments) was authorized in December. Brampton was selected as the headquarters, with companies located in Port Credit, Oakville, Georgetown, and Orangeville. (For more information concerning details of battles fought, etc, please see ‘A History of Peel County: To Mark Its Centenary 1867-1967’ The Corporation of the County of Peel: County of Peel, November 1967.)
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850