Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 662 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Milk Glass Plate
Identifier: 1999.3.44
Donor: Margaret Day
Item Date: 1900-1912
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A square shaped blue milk glass plate. The centre of the plate is smooth and concaved. The outer edge of the plate is trimmed with weaving and there is a flower embossed in each of the four corners. Along the flat edges between each flower in the corner is a smaller flower. The flowers look like they are pansies, and are painted gold. History: Milk glass is a term used by glass makers to describe an opaque white glass. The German term is 'milch-glass', the Italian term is 'lattimo', and the French term is 'blanc-de-lait' or 'verre-de-lait'. Milk glass was first developed in Venice in the 14th or 15th Century. The white opaque colour was made by adding in tin oxide. In the 17th and 18th Century it was very popular to decorate this glass with enamel paint. During the 19th and 20th century, a great deal of pressed opaque white glass was made. This inexpensive glassware was also known by names such as Vitro-Porcelain or Porcelain Glass. This is the kind of white glass that is usually collected by milk glass collectors. Manufacturers often made other colours in the same patterns, especially blue, which have been classified as milk glass as well, but are not the colour of milk. This makes it confusing and hard for the researcher looking for information concerning 'real' milk glass.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851