|Description: A cream-coloured thin volume of poetry containing eight pages and ten poems. The cover picture is of a naked woman on an island with two palm trees, printed in brown, with the author's name and title above also in brown lettering. The title page contains an inscription by the author "Love to Annie Sayers from Dorothy Livesay, Christmas 1955", and the publisher's name and date "Emblem Books, 1955". The overleaf contains information about the cover artist Laurence Hyde, and below "copyright 1955 by Dorothy Livesay". The opposite page contains information regarding two poems that had been previously published. On the back cover is the publishing information again, advertising other publications.
Dorothy Livesay was the daughter of J. F. B. Livesay (1875-1944), who became General Manager of the Canadian Press in 1920. His wife, Dorothy's mother, was also a very literary person, a poet who was published in Massey's Magazine. The Livesays lived on property that originally belonged to Benares. They were friends of the Harris' and introduced Mazo de la Roche to the Harris'.
Dorothy was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in 1909, and passed away in 1996. She was a teacher, and worked in North Rhodesia (Zambia) from 1959 to 1963. She taught as a writer-in-residence at many universities, including the University of Alberta, University of Victoria, and St. John's College at the University of Manitoba. She also worked as a journalist and editor. She was the founder and first editor of CVII, and a founding member of the League of Canadian Poets. The B.C. Book prize is named in her honour. She won the Governor General's Literary Award in the poetry category in 1944 for "Day And Night", and again in 1947 for "Poems for People". Dorothy was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1987.
Annie Harris Sayers was born in 1882, to Arthur and Mary Harris (née Magrath), of Benares. Annie and her younger sister Naomi were raised in an atmosphere of upper middle class comfort. They were educated at home by governesses, and then were sent to Miss DuPont's School for Ladies in Toronto, where they stayed with their aunts throughout the week. As Annie and Naomi grew up, Benares was a frequent area for lawn tennis matches, weekend parties, and croquet games on the lawn. Annie Harris married Beverly Sayers, and together they built a house on the southern part of the Benares Estate, given to them by Annie's parents. After their marriage ended in 1925, Annie continued to live in the 'Log Bungalow', raising her three children alone. Annie and Beverly had three children: Geoffrey, 1907-1998; Dora, 1915-2004; and Barbara, 1920- .