Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 636 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Magazine - "Chatelaine" - Feb 1933
Identifier: 2005.8.16
Donor: Mrs. Hay
Item Date: 1933
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2006
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Monthly issue (February 1933) of Canadian women's magazine, Chatelaine. Contents: fiction, children's feature, general articles, Chatelaine patterns, the Chatelaine institute. The magazine is bound with three staples. The cover is glued to the spine. The cover text is printed in black. The cover illustration is a profile of a young woman with platinum ringlets, a tiny ribbon trimmed hat, a lace collar, a nosegay of blossoms held with a doily and a pink ribbon bow. The background is a Valentine card. Label at the top left corner of front cover, is printed in purple/blue ink: "ALTA 20 MAR-33". The name and street address of the subscriber are blacked out. History: Continued serialization (final portion) of the Mazo de la Roche novel "The Thunder of New Wings" on pp. 20, 21, 58, 59, 63-65. Illustrations by R.W. Major. In 1927, Mazo de la Roche's (1879-1961) novel "Jalna" won the $10,000 first prize in a competition sponsored by "Atlantic Monthly", which provided her with recognition and success in the future. Mazo de la Roche is significant to Mississauga as she lived in Clarkson during the time she wrote her award winning novel, "Jalna." Mazo lived in Trail Cottage, which was located on property that had originally belonged to the Benares Estate. Some people speculate the Benares House was Mazo's inspiration for the Whiteoaks of "Jalna". Mazo was friends with the Harrises and had visited Benares. She was born in Newmarket as Mazo Louise Roche. She was the only child of Alberta and William Roche. Mazo died on 12 July 1961. See: C.J. Taylor, "de la Roche, Mazo" Canadian Encyclopaedia, 2000 Edition_ (Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1999), 639.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851