|Description: A blue transfer-printed desert plate, with blue border, by Royal Chelsea. The design includes bowls of fruit and vines. The center has no pattern. Item has maker's mark on bottom reading 'Dora'.
History: Chelsea, England: a porcelain factory was established about 1743. It was sold to a Derby proprietor in 1770. Both factories operated jointly until 1784 when the Chelsea factory was moved to Derby (Thorn 1967:51). The Derby factory was established in 1756 and closed in 1848. The present-day Crown Derby Porcelain Company was established in 1876 (Cushion 1976:102).(There is no evidence of the mark as seen on B-154/979.6.382.1-5, King used during this period and no other documentation indicates use could be found in the time available.
This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (nee Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Armed Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45.
Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloten) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.