|Description: A transferware Imari style plate decorated with blue border and flowers in red, green and orange. Item is marked "Vesper" on bottom. This would be a cabinet plate and is in a Chinoiserie style.
"Imari is the European name for a type of Japanese porcelain made for export from Arita. Japanese Imari was shipped from the port of Arita starting in the late 17th century. Antique Imari is richly decorated with flowers, figures, ships and Asian symbols in lovely, dark underglaze cobalt blue, red enamels and gold. Other colors used sparingly are turquoise, green, aubergine and yellow. Some Imari style wares were made in China. In the 18th and 19th centuries, European potters and buyers loved this pretty pottery so much that the English, Georgian and Victorian, potteries such as Derby, Mason, Minton, Spode, Worcester produced products very similar to this bold new ceramic." From :www.rubylane.com.
This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (nee Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Armed Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45.
Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloten) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.