|Description: Green metal toy electric iron. Wood handle painted red. Black and red cloth covered electrical cord 88 cm long. 2.1 x 2 cm black rubber electric plug. There is a 2 cm long wire spring at the point where the electrical cord attaches to the iron. Electrical cord works when plugged in - if the wire is wiggled to help make the electrical connection. The back of the iron reads: "Sunny Suzy. Wolverine Supply & Mrg. Co., Pittsburg, PA, Made in USA. Cat No. 124, 116 V, 12 W."
History: Wolverine Supply & Manufacturing, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1903-1950. Founders: Benjamin F. Bain and his wife. Specialty: The Wolverine Supply & Manufacturing Company was founded in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1903, and incorporated in 1906. Wolverine's early toys were set in motion by the weight of sand or marbles. These popular toys were usually designed to unload sand or marbles from an elevated hopper. The toys, once set in operation, continue to operate unattended until the supply of marbles or sand was exhausted, thereby providing endless hours of fun for youngsters. These type of toys were called 'Sandy Andy.' In 1918, Wolverine's line expanded to include girls' toys. Introduced at the New York Toy Fair in March of that year, were such toys as tea sets, sand pails, wash tubs, glass washboards, ironing boards and miniature grocery stores. In 1928, Wolverine introduced their 'Sunny Andy' and 'Sunny Suzy' toys. Company advertising explained that the new names for the toys would cover all toys not operated by sand. By 1929, airplanes, boats, buses, and other toys had joined the Wolverine family of toys. Wolverine continued to expand their toy line throughout the 1930s, right up to the beginning of WWII, almost as if they were immune from the effects of the Depression. Even the sand toys, relatively unchanged from the early 1900s, were still being sold into the 1950s.
The iron was donated by long time volunteer and Mississauga resident, John Hammil. Many of the artifacts in the Hammill donation belonged to either his family or that of his first wife Gertrude.